Fixing YouTube on a jailbreaked 2.02 iPhone 3G
Jailbreaking an iPhone 3G is relatively painless except that YouTube will often fail with a "cannot connect to youtube" error.
There are numerous "fixes" around the internet but they all didn't work for me. The only way that seemed to work is:
- Delete the "%AppData%\Roaming\Apple Computer\Lockdown" directory from your computer (you may need to do this after jailbreaking anyway as iTunes may stop talking to your iPhone if you don't)
- Install OpenSSH on your iPhone along with BossPrefs and then use BossPrefs to enable SSH.
- Use WinSCP (or equivalent) and SSH into your iPhone using its current IP address. The username/password is root/alpine.
- Browse to the /private/var/root directory and delete or rename the "lockdown" folder.
- Shutdown your iPhone and make sure the USB cable is unplugged
- Turn in your iPhone. Reinsert your SIM card and unlock it if necessary.
- Your iPhone will request that you plug in your USB cable to activate the phone with an obvious looking picture.
- After the activation process is complete (it should only take few seconds after you plug in the USB cable and iTunes loads), YouTube should work again.